Club History

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE WANGARATTA CLUB
 
The Wangaratta Club was formed at a meeting held on the 4th October 1909 at the Wangaratta Library Building.
It commenced operation in rooms leased from the Commercial Hotel. Then on completion of the new Mitchell Building it leased the rooms on the first floor in 1910.
The Mitchell Building was located on the corner of Murphy and Reid Streets. The site is currently occupied by the Commonwealth Bank.
The Wangaratta Club was a Men’s Club and occupied the rooms at the Mitchell Building until land was purchased and a new Clubroom was built on the current site in Victoria Parade in 1939.
Since then the Club has endured many changes and after purchasing surrounding land in 1956 the Bowling Green was opened. Extensions to the building on numerous occasions were carried out.
Declining membership saw the introduction of Associate Lady Members in 1981.
The club facilities have always been available for the use of community groups such as Rotary, Apex, Kiwanis and a host of sporting and social organisations.
Gaming machines were introduced on the 22nd of September 1997 and immediately improved the financial position of the Club thus ensuring its survival.
The major sporting sponsorships are the Ovens Bowls Club and the North Wangaratta Football and Netball Club.
The Wangaratta Club celebrated 100 years of continuous operation on the 28th October 2009.
With full catering and gaming machines, as well as bar and lounge facilities it offers membership to all members of the community.

A book compiling the colourful history of the Club was produced in 2009 celebrating it's centennial. Copies can be purchased from the office at the Club.

For further details contact the Club on 0357 213 711 or call in and talk to the staff.